Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for August, 2009


Two months has seen alot of changes here on Deberosa II.  

We built two poultry coops, one with a nest box for the egg layers and one for the other poultry – although they all pile into one at night!

Ready for new poultry!

Ready for new poultry!

The red and green paint came from a going out of business sale, but I like it.  The coops have a solid bottom and are very easy to clean since they are up off of the ground.  The chickens like to dust themselves in the dry dirt under the coop and it doesn’t get all nasty.
Other news is I noticed some tree people doing chipping across the road.  Went over to talk with them and find out what they did with all those chips.  It turns out they have a very hard time finding places to put the chips!  So for most of the summer as they clear power lines up and down the road they use our top field as a dumping place for chips and storage place for equipment some weekends.  This is a great start for the flower beds that have been neglected.  Also with the grass catcher on the mower we are constructing compost piles by layering the green grass clippings with wood chips and whatever else is around to throw in.
Our new wood chip and compost project.

Our new wood chip and compost project.

In addition we put in three raised beds with a square foot gardening fall garden.
First we put down a layer of moving boxes then the frame and then the mixture of Peatmoss, compost and vermiculite or perlite in equal amounts. 
Raised bed for herbs and greens

Raised bed for herbs and greens

Raised beds for fall garden

Raised beds for fall garden

 

 

As you can see we have started to mulch around these beds with the wood chip supply.

We also are refilling the freezers with the wonderful produce availble in this area.  That includes sweet corn, peaches, and a quarter of a Highland cow from a farm down the road.  We will also get pork and free range chickens and turkeys from them until we get our own set up again.  Highland beef is wonderful!  The best I’ve ever had.  We never got to try the Dexter cattle.

In addition we found 8 blueberry bushes to plant.  Got 4 of them in so far with lots of mulch from the wood chip supply.

 

Blueberries - hard to see in the thick layer of mulch!

Blueberries - hard to see in the thick layer of mulch!

Kurt dug holes at least one foot deep and two feet across.  I put 1/4 back of peat moss and 1/2 bag of compost in the hole, filled it with water to soak in and then finished with some of the dirt that came out in the first place.  This hopefully will give the berries a good start.  Then surrounded them with more moving boxes and topped with a thick layer of wood chips.

Martha also got a new house!

Nice new house for Martha and Jake when we are away.

Nice new house for Martha and Jake when we are away.

The guineas are now free ranging – they tended to pick on the hens and turkeys in the fenced run plus they are here for tick control.  So far they have been circling the property all day eating bugs so this is good.  There is a flock of 13 guinea fowl.  In the back ground of this picture you’ll see a deer!  They are becoming more brave.  The conglomeration of stuff outside the shed is our effort to sort what came from Washington – which was alot!

Guineas and deer

Guineas and deer

 

 

 

 

The poultry inventory other than guineas at this point is 3 Bourbon Red turkeys – unfortunately it looks like they are all Toms!, One Salmon Favorelle Rooster and two hens, 7 barred rock pullets, 4 Red Sex Link Pullets, 2 Americana Pullets and the flock of 13 guinea fowl.  Already we are getting 6 eggs a day.

Poultry Flock

 

That’s about all that’s new for now!

 

Debbie

Advertisements

Read Full Post »